This policy provides three separate avenues for individuals to express concerns relating to the use of animals in teaching, research, or outreach.
- Any individual may report concerns to the tip line maintained by the Office of Research Compliance in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education (608.890.1273). If anonymity is requested UW-Madison will strive to maintain it, but it cannot be absolutely guaranteed.
- Any individual may report concerns to persons with authority over UW-Madison’s animal care and use program, which includes the chair of the appropriate Animal Care and Use Committee, the Director of the Office of Research Compliance, the Assistant Director of Research Animal Resources and Compliance (RARC), the Chief Campus Veterinarian, and the University’s Institutional Official.
- UW-Madison employees may report concerns under the procedures of the Wisconsin Whistleblower Law, which protects state employees from retaliation for disclosing certain information. More information about the Whistleblower law is available on the website of the UW-Madison Office of Human Resources. The procedures outlined in avenues 1 and 2 above may not qualify an employee for protection under the Whistleblower Law.
Each College/School is responsible for posting this policy in sufficient numbers and locations to assure employees’ awareness. Colleges or Schools wishing to modify the posting to include additional College/School contacts may do so as long as, at a minimum, the following are included:
- Chair of the Animal Care and Use Committee with oversight responsibility for that facility
- Director of the Office of Research Compliance
- Assistant Director of RARC
- Chief Campus Veterinarian