Ordering Buprenorphine SR Lab
Buprenorphine SR Lab, manufactured by ZooPharm, is a sustained-release analgesic that provides extended pain relief to laboratory animals. You must have a current prescription (RX) from an RARC veterinarian to order this drug from ZooPharm. (The RX expires after 6 months; you must ask an RARC veterinarian to submit a new RX after expiration.)
In addition to the RX, your lab must have a DEA and SUA license that includes Buprenorphine SR.
Buprenorphine SR Lab is available in two concentrations 0.5 mg/ml (mice) and 1.0 mg/ml (rats). Both are available in a 5.0 ml bottle.
RARC veterinarian recommended dosing:
- Rat - 1.2 mg/kg, subcutaneously, every 48 hours
- Mouse - 0.6 mg/kg subcutaneously, every 48 hours
Follow these four steps to order Buprenorphine SR Lab:
- Complete the following in the ZooPharm RX form:
Box 1: Fill in the Researchers (DEA-SUA licensee) information. The address must match the address listed on the DEA-SUA licenses.
Box 2: Fill in the prescribing information. Make sure it matches your approved animal-use protocol description for Buprenorphine SR Lab use. The RX must include the following: drug name, concentration, volume, and directions for use (e.g., administer 0.6 mg/kg, subcutaneously in the scruff, every 48 hours.)
Indicate how many refills you would like during the 6-month prescription period.
Quantity of Bottles and Number of Refills must be written alpha-numerically (e.g., (3) three bottles, (2) two refills).
Box 3: An RARC veterinarian will complete.
- Email the RX form to firstname.lastname@example.org. An RARC veterinarian will confirm details on your animal-use protocol and communicate with you about the drug’s use.
- The RARC veterinarian will then complete Box 3, sign the RX, and submit it to ZooPharm.
- Researchers (DEA/SUA holders) ordering for the first time must call ZooPharm to set up an account. You can authorize a different person in your lab or unit to pay for prescriptions with a unit or department credit card. Submit refills directly on the ZooPharm website. Call 1-888-823-9314 with questions.