School of Medicine and Public Health (SMPH) IACUC
The SMPH IACUC oversees the largest of the UW-Madison animal care programs, including projects at the School of Pharmacy. Oversight encompasses seven campus animal facilities and three off-campus facilities. The research program is biomedical, and many projects are collaborative, including collaborations with the Veterans Administration Hospital. For more information visit Laboratory Animal Resources (LAR).
Veterinary prereview requirement
Effective March 16, 2015, the SMPH IACUC requires all New and Renewal protocol applications receive an RARC veterinary pre-review before they are reviewed by the SMPH IACUC. This will happen automatically when submitting via ARROW and clicking on the “Submit for Pre-review” activity button. Please note, that for renewals you will continue to receive reminder notifications until the protocol is actually submitted for IACUC review.
Submitting protocol for IACUC review
Once you have received a preview response from the selected RARC veterinarian, respond to each concern and then submit for IACUC review. Select the “Submit for IACUC review” activity button.
Research animal services, including animal ordering and daily husbandry, are provided by LAR. For complete information call 263-6466.
Access to animal facilities is strictly controlled and special training requirements apply. For complete information call 263-6466.
SMPH IACUC policies
- Policy 1 - Monitoring Animals at Risk of Developing Protocol-Related Morbidity or Mortality - rescinded
- Policy 2 - Use of Sedatives, Analgesics, and Anesthetics in Laboratory Animals - rescinded, see policy 1999-010-v
- Policy 3 - Pain, Distress, or Death as Experimental End-Points and Euthanasia
- Policy 4 - Medical Records for Laboratory Animals Undergoing Survival Procedures - rescinded, see policy 2003-019-v
- Policy 5 - Survival Surgery and Post-Procedural Care in Laboratory Animals
- Policy 6 - Use of Wire-Bottom Caging for Rodents - rescinded, see policy 2015-057-v.
- Policy 7 - Housing of Mice in Medical School Animal Facilities - rescinded, contact Lab Animal Resources or an RARC veterinarian for animal housing arrangements.
- Policy 8 - Housing of Medical School Animals in Non-AAALAC International Accredited Facilities
- Policy 9 - Monoclonal Antibody Production - rescinded, see policy 1999-011-v.
- Policy 10 - Duplicate Review of Protocols - rescinded
- Policy 11 - Transportation of Research Animals - rescinded, see policy 2011-043-v.
- Policy 12 - Tumor Burdens in Rodents - rescinded, see policy 2007-032-v.
- Policy 13 - Genotyping and/or Identifying Rodents - rescinded, see policy 2010-038-v
- Policy 14 - Oocyte Harvest in Frogs
- Policy 15 - Disease Management Policy - rescinded, see policy 2007-033-v.
- Policy 16 - Guidelines for Maintenance of Rodent Guillotines - rescinded, see policy 2015-056-v.
- Policy 17 - Housing Outside LAR - rescinded, see policy 2012-045-v.
- Policy 18 - Conditioning and Quarantine - rescinded, see policy 2015-55-v
- Policy 19 - Guidelines for Using Avertin - rescinded, see policy 2012-046-v.
- Policy 20 - Expired Materials
- Policy 21 - Shared Procedure Rooms in LAR Facilities