Veterinary Anesthesia Service Group
The RARC Veterinary Service Group provides a central resource for campus researchers using large animal (dogs, cats, pigs, sheep, rabbits, ferrets, etc.) experimental models that require anesthesia for imaging, medical, or surgical procedures.
The Veterinary Anesthesia Service Group provides:
- Temporary anesthesia support/training for labs with professional anesthesia and surgical staff (i.e., when new staff are hired)
- Full anesthesia support for smaller labs with intermittent needs
Services provided at no charge include:
- Consultation with PIs to plan and schedule protocol-approved procedures
- Meet with laboratory staff in a kick-off meeting
- Provide training from a board-certified veterinary anesthesiologist
- Dr. Becky Johnson, DVM, DACVAA, will provide training during procedures based on her clinical assessment of the staff and level of complexity of the procedure
- Arrange and confirm pre-surgical fasting as needed
Services provided as fee-for service (included in hourly rate, see schedule below):
- Administer pre-surgical drugs and induce anesthesia
- Perform, oversee, and monitor intra-operative or intra-procedural anesthesia
- Perform immediate post-operative or post-procedural care (oversee recovery, administer any needed immediate post-operative medications)
- Complete all required documentation in animal records (e.g., anesthesia monitoring sheets) and appropriate entries in clinical records sheets
- Review peri-procedural clinical records to ensure accuracy
RARC staff will monitor animals until recovered (i.e., tracheally extubated, up to normal body temperature, able to control airway, sternal recumbency). They will not be expected to perform all post-operative monitoring or administer all post-operative medications (e.g., for the first 72 hours after surgery) but will work with lab staff to ensure lab personnel are assigned to perform these duties and that adequate back-up and communication systems are in place in the event a lab member is unable to complete an assigned task.
Hourly rates will be waived for the first two procedures that the Group performs for a lab, but the lab is responsible for the cost of drugs and supplies.
|Vet Tech per hour||$50|
|Veterinarian per hour||$77|
|Flat Rate Equipment Charge||$30|
|Flat Rate Misc. Supplies Fee||$15|
|After Hours Fee per hour*||$27|
|Drugs and Specialty Supplies||Cost per item as listed on the RARC Pharmacy website|
*Normal working hours are from 7am-5pm, Monday-Friday. Work outside these hours may be possible with advanced planning. For procedures that fall outside the hours of 6am-6pm, or on weekends, there is an additional $27/hr charge for veterinary technicians.
Hourly rates will be charged for set-up and clean-up, but not travel.
Please email email@example.com for more information or to book a consultation.