- Controlled Substance Administration Log
- DEA Inventory Report
- SUA Form 2184 Application
- SUA Form 2836 Checklist
- SUA Form 2277 Security
- SUA Form 2686 Notice
- DEA Form 225 Application for Research
- DEA Form 225a Renewal
- DEA Form 222 Schedule I & II Ordering
- DEA Form 41 Destruction
- DEA Form 106 Theft/Loss
The following guidance represents RARC's understanding of current state and federal controlled substance regulations. Please note that this guidance is provided as reference only! Registrants are responsible for knowing and understanding their obligations under state and federal laws.
State and federal regulatory information
Visit the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Office of Diversion Control website or contact DEA directly for information regarding federal regulations:
Registration Help: (414) 336-7370; Regulatory Help: (608) 210-4334
View federal regulations:
Visit the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (WI DSPS), Controlled Substance Board (CSB) website for information regarding state regulations.
(608) 266-2112; DSPSCredControlledSubstances@wi.gov
View state regulations:
Find a list of substances and which schedule they fall under on the Office of Diversion Control website.
Controlled substances and RARC
RARC cannot sell or distribute controlled substances for your research.
- In some cases, RARC veterinary staff may be able to directly administer analgesia to rodents for your research project. Visit the Rodent Analgesia Service page for information.
- Use our Anesthesia and Analgesia Formulary or contact your RARC veterinarian for consultation regarding drug types, dosages, routes of administration, formulations, commercial products, and other medical issues. Log in with your NetID at the top of the page to see the full list of RARC veterinarians.
- RARC provides one-on-one assistance with state and federal registration procedures and management of controlled substances and records. Contact Sarah Johnson-Schlueter for assistance: email@example.com, (608) 263-4861.
Registration and security
In Wisconsin, researchers working with controlled substances must obtain their own:
1. State Controlled Substance Special Use Authorization, and
2. Federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration.
A separate registration is required for each physical building where controlled substances are administered or stored. Controlled substances and associated records CANNOT be moved from your DEA registered address.
Find registration instructions and security information here.
DSPS and DEA have set separate recordkeeping and inventory requirements for researchers. Required records are summarized here.
1. Controlled substance records must be maintained separately from all other records.
2. DEA Form 222 requires special security.
See RARC's Controlled Substance Tips for more information.
Once you have obtained proper registration, you must set up your own account with a vendor for ordering.
NOTE: Schedule I and II substances require DEA Form 222 for ordering. See RARC's Controlled Substance Tips for more information.
Commonly Used Controlled-Substance Vendors
- Midwest Veterinary Supply
Phone: (608) 837-5188; (800) 362-9226
Fax: (888) 372-3941
5374 Maly Road, Route 1
Sun Prairie, WI 53590
Regional Contact: Sue Lavigne (608) 834-3504
- Henry Schein Animal Health
Phone: (855) 724-3461 (toll-free)
Fax: (614) 659-1948
400 Metro Place North
Dublin, OH 43017
Phone: (888) 963-8471; (973) 660-7491
5 Giralda Farms
Madison, NJ 07940
Call for ordering information
- Patterson Veterinary
Phone: (800) 225-7911; (978) 353-6000
Fax: (978) 353-6016
137 Barnum Road
Devens, MA 01434
Mail completed DEA Form 222 to:
Patterson Logistics Services Inc.
Attn: Tobias Chappell
925 Carolina Pines Blvd., Suite B
Blythewood, SC 29016
See instructions for proper destruction under Expired Materials.