SOP for Sodium Pentobarbital Anesthetic Formulation
See UW-4123, Use of Nonpharmaceutical-Grade Compounds
- 6 g sodium pentobarbital powder
- 10 ml ethanol (95%)
- 40 ml propylene glycol USP
- 0.9% sterile saline
- Dissolve the pentobarbital powder in the ethanol
- Add 25 ml saline after the pentobarbital is completely dissolved. Mix thoroughly.
- Add 40 ml propylene glycol; mix.
- Bring to final volume (100 ml) with 0.9% saline
- The pentobarbital concentration in the final solution is 60 mg/ml
- Rat, 40-50 mg/kg intraperitoneally (IP)
- Mouse, 40-85 mg/kg IP
- Rabbit, 28 mg/kg IP or intravenously (IV)
- Pig, 20-30 mg/kg IV
- Sheep, 20-30 mg/kg IV
- Use must be recorded just like any other controlled substance.