Step 1: Animal User Orientation
Step 2: Safety and Animal Contact
For questions about EHS safety training, call 608-890-3482.
Contact University Health Services for questions about their health risk assessment.
Step 3: Species Specific or Surgery Courses
- First, a PI adds an individual to a protocol and sends the protocol to RARC;
- Second, RARC processes the addition;
- Third, if a training requirement is triggered (i.e., the individual has not taken a required course), an email is sent to the individual and the PI indicating what training is required and instructions on how to register for necessary course(s).
- An individual must complete training for all species they are identified with on the protocol before they are certified to work with those species unsupervised. This is a one-time requirement.
- Individuals listed under the surgery section of a protocol are required to take a Lab Animal Surgery course. This is a one-time requirement.
Step 4: For New Principal Investigators: Meet & Greet
A “Meet and Greet” will be arranged when you submit a protocol on campus, at which time an RARC trainer and an RARC veterinarian will be available to answer any questions you may have regarding the UW animal program. You will also be given a Laboratory Training Notebook at this time to document training of your research staff. The Lab Notebook also provides documentation forms for tracking lab SOPs, animal care and use protocols, and the use of controlled substances. You can download a copy of the Laboratory Training Notebook or you can click on the Lab Notebook tab on the left to access individual forms. Please contact RARC trainers with any questions.